- To become a Paralegal you currently need:
A high school degree in the Paralegal field or a Certificate in Paralegal Studies if you already have another degree, plus some experience.
- A certificate will take less than a year to obtain and a degree will require 2 to 4 years of study. Some schools offer online studies. Many will help you get experienced.
- Later on you may pass an exam with a legal association that will 'certify' you as a Paralegal. This certification is not the same as the Paralegal Certificate.
- The ABA has approved more than 200 schools amongst the thousand plus schools offering some form of paralegal training.
- Association certification and school reputation factors dictate that you screen your potential schools not only according to costs or study time length but also according to your local job market requirements.